Application as a Mentor
Personal and Professional Development a mentor program for Shoalhaven young professionals
The mentor program
This mentor program is an initiative of the Shoalhaven Professional Business Association (spba) and is proudly sponsored by the Productive Shoalhaven, Shoalhaven City Council and supported by University of Wollongong, Shoalhaven Campus.
The format of mentoring programs delivers benefits to both the participants and mentors. Cordie in Adult Learning 2013 24:112 noted that “researchers found the mentors more empowered after talking with other mentors”. With the aim of incorporating greater benefits for mentors, the program includes space for the mentors to share experiences and opinions.
This program will focus on four areas:
- Mentoring & supporting
And aims to deliver
- Greater connections and networks within young professionals
- Greater connections and networks widely among Shoalhaven professionals and young professionals
- Increased knowledge and skills
- Increased personal confidence
- Learning opportunities
- The opportunity for spba members to engage more fully with young professionals
- Acknowledgement and recognition of Shoalhaven young professionals
- Increased profile and reputation of spba
- Delivery of member needs in 2019 for spba
- Presentation opportunities within spba
- Increased awareness of knowledge, skills and experience of people in the Shoalhaven.
How it works
The mentor program combines social and networking opportunities with personal development and growth through one on one mentor meetings and Knowledge Tables.
Participants are matched with Mentors and they will meet once a month over a period of five months.
Participants choose four topics for personal and professional development. Four Knowledge Tables will be delivered on topics chosen by participants and led by an expert in that field. The Knowledge Tables will enable learning by sharing and exchanging experiences and knowledge from within the group, example topics may include: public speaking, presentations, negotiation, writing skills, conflict resolution, e communications, time management, business planning.
Participants enjoy a monthly social event which is part of the regular syp event schedule. In this way, the program is inclusive of other young professionals who are not on the program but are included in the social events.
Nuts and Bolts
As a mentor you are matched with a participant. Professionals from the same profession are not matched. Matching considers your experience and knowledge identified in this Application.
Your commitment as a mentor is to have face to face meetings with your mentoree (minimum 5 meetings) over the period of January – May 2019. The time commitment over the five months is 7 hours. The seven hours can be made up with the face to face meetings or other communication means such as online and phone.
You are expected to attend the Mentor Briefing and the Mentor debriefing. We invite you to participate in a mentors roundtable for you to gain maximum benefit from being a mentor, the Knowledge Tables, the Great Pitch and the Graduation Dinner.
Role of the Mentor
- be a sounding board for ideas
- Work with the participant on goal setting and developing steps to achieve goals
- Provide guidance and direction
- Maintain confidentiality
- Help the participant network, provide helpful resources and support to enable participant to continue a journey of continuous learning
The mentor will not
- Provide consulting advice
- Make decisions for the participant
The mentor program is being delivered by Rhonda McGuire, business coach, trainer and consultant.
The program is being overseen by a Management Steering Committee comprising
- Sue Schofield: Life Member and spba Management Committee.
- Steven Bayer: Partner Edmiston Jones Architects and spba Management Committee.
- Grant Gleeson: Director Legal, NSW Office of Local Government and spba Management Committee.
- Greg Pullen: Economic Development Manager, Shoalhaven City Council and spba Management Committee.
- Graham Stokes: National Business Development Manager, MI Engineers and spba Management Committee.
For more information contact: Rhonda McGuire – tel: 0418 229112
Or contact us
Expression of Interest - Mentor application