Application as a participant
Personal and Professional Development a mentor program for Shoalhaven young professionals
The mentor program
This mentor program is an initiative of the Shoalhaven Professional Business Association (spba) and is proudly sponsored by the University of Wollongong Shoalhaven Campus and Southern Phone through Shoalhaven City Council.
The program includes needs identified by spba members.
- More formal ‘society introductions’ or a buddy system to expand social as well as professional networks
- Encouragement of syp activities
- Mentoring and networking skills
- Networking opportunities
- Seminars, education, practical advice
- Training, public speaking
How it works
The mentor program combines social and networking opportunities with personal development and growth through one on one mentor meetings and Knowledge Tables.
Participants are matched with Mentors and they will meet once a month over a period of five months.
Participants choose four topics for personal and professional development. Four Knowledge Tables will be delivered on topics chosen by participants and led by an expert in that field. The Knowledge Tables will enable learning by sharing and exchanging experiences and knowledge from within the group, example topics may include: public speaking, presentations, negotiation, writing skills, conflict resolution, e communications, time management, business planning.
Participants also enjoy a monthly social event which is part of the regular syp event schedule. In this way, the program is inclusive of other young professionals who are not on the program but are included in the social events.
The development of the program will focus on four areas
- Mentoring & supporting
And aims to deliver
- Greater connections and networks within young professionals;
- Greater connections and networks widely among Shoalhaven professionals and young professionals
- Increased knowledge and skills
- Increased personal confidence
- Learning opportunities
- The opportunity for spba members to engage more fully with young professionals
- Acknowledgement and recognition of Shoalhaven young professionals
- Increased profile and reputation of spba
- Delivery of member needs in 2018 for spba
- Presentation opportunities within spba
- Increased awareness of knowledge, skills and experience of people in the Shoalhaven.
Nuts and Bolts
As a participant you are matched with a mentor. Professionals from the same profession are not matched. Matching considers your reasons for taking part in the program, your goals and areas for growth identified in this Expression of Interest.
Your commitment as a participant is to have face to face meetings with your mentor (minimum 5 meetings) over the period of January - June 2018. The time commitment over the five months is 7 hours. The seven hours can be made up with the face to face meetings or other communication means such as online and phone.
You will also be expected to attend the Participant Briefing and debriefing; the four Knowledge Tables, the Great Debate and the four social events. You will Graduate at the completion of the program at the spba young professional mentor program Graduation Dinner.
Role of the Mentor
- be a sounding board for ideas
- Work with the participant on goal setting and developing steps to achieve goals
- Provide guidance and direction
- Maintain confidentiality
- Help the participant network, provide helpful resources and support to enable participant to continue a journey of continuous learning
The mentor will not
- Provide consulting advice
- Make decisions for the participant
The mentor program is being delivered by Rhonda McGuire, business coach, trainer and consultant.
The program is being overseen by a Management Steering Committee comprising
- Steven Bayer: Chairman of spba and Director, Edmiston Jones GBB
- Sue Schofield: Committee member.
- Associate Professor Robbie Collins: spba Committee member, Head Shoalhaven Campus, University of Wollongong
- Greg Pullen: Economic Development Manager, Shoalhaven City Council.
- David Bisiker: President, Nowra Golf Club.
- Heather Darlington: Bendigo Bank Nowra Community Branch
Registration fee $290.00
For more information contact: Rhonda McGuire – tel: 0418 229112
Or contact us
Expression of Interest - Participant application